University of Colorado Denver
- Office of Research Services travel grant received for the LILAC 2019 conference in Nottingham, United Kingdom.
- University of Colorado Denver Office of Research Services travel grant received for the BOBCATSSS 2018 conference in Riga, Latvia.
- Excellence in Research/Creative Activities Award (library level), 2017
- Excellence in Service Award (library level), 2013
- Excellence in Research/Creative Activities Award (library level), 2012
- Excellence in Librarianship Award (university level), 2011
- Excellence in Service Award (library level), 2010
Journal of Academic Librarianship
In 2009, the Journal of Academic Librarianship, one of the premier publications in library and information science, honored two of my articles in its “JAL Guide to the Professional Literature,” by Laura Reiner and Leslie Stebbins. The Guide appears in volume 35, issue 6 (200), on pages 609-619. The articles cited are:
Brown-Sica, Margaret, Karen Sobel, and Denise Pan. “Learning for All: Teaching Students, Faculty and Staff with Screencasting,” Public Services Quarterly 5.2(April-June 2009), 81-97.
Sobel, Karen. “Promoting Library Reference Services to First-Year Undergraduate Students: What Works?” Reference and User Services Quarterly 48.4(Summer 2009), 362-371.
Association of College and Research Libraries
My book, Information Basics for College Students, was nominated for the 2013 Ilene F. Rockman Instruction Publication of the Year award. Although it did not win, I greatly appreciate all the support I received from librarians worldwide.